Leader, Field Telecommunication & Networks
Application deadline is March 31
Feel the Energy. When you work for an organization that appreciates your contributions, respects your abilities, and rewards your achievements, you’ll feel energized as you’ve never felt before. That’s why you owe it to yourself to explore a future with Great River Energy. As Minnesota’s second largest utility, based on generating capacity, we have satisfying opportunities for highly motivated professionals.
We are seeking a leader for field telecommunication & networks to provide leadership and coordination of technician/electricians and coordinate with various internal departments and external entities. This position will oversee and manage the overall construction, integration, operation and maintenance of the GRE communications system to ensure optimal performance and reliability of the rapidly changing enterprise-wide network, telecommunications, SCADA, energy and load management systems and various other communication systems.
Manage, coach and provide work direction to employees to maximize productivity and teamwork. Develop departmental goals and individual performance goals.
Ensure resources are assigned appropriately to projects, and activities are prioritized to meet business needs and to support the network, transmission, generation and engineering functions.
Build and motivate a strong and cohesive team.
Ensures optimal performance and the reliability, integrity and efficient operation to support the operation of telecommunications and I.T. networks, the load management system, SCADA and various other monitoring and control systems.
Coordinate and implement network and telecommunications upgrades, replacements, and retirements as driven by business requirements and asset lifecycle management.
Set up maintenance schedule to adhere to GRE guidelines and NERC requirements for network and telecommunication testing and maintain equipment to maximize system integrity and reliability.
Oversee and delegate telecommunication site maintenance activities.
Review technician documentation such as construction work orders and prints to ensure that construction installations are completed correctly and verified for accuracy, and approve equipment change orders, expense reports, time reporting, and billable work for others.
Promote and develop process improvements through knowledge sharing and identification of business needs.
Keep informed of system sites and equipment to make proper decisions for maintenance issues and future construction projects, as well as industry developments in the areas of I.T. networks, telecommunications, construction, maintenance, materials and equipment.
Analyze network performance; partner with team members, business partners, and vendors to maintain and improve network performance. Identify trends for future improvements. • Assure that standards are met and installation practices are consistent.
Ensure standard operating procedures, “as builts” and documentation are maintained.
Coordinates communication and planning with other GRE departments and contractors.
Maintain positive relationships with distribution cooperatives, municipal utilities, and surrounding transmission companies.
Recommend needs and priorities for replacement of existing equipment.
Provide input in implementing solutions to issues that impact users and affect key application, infrastructure telecommunications and network and end-user productivity.
Provide input to annual and long-range planning of telecommunications and network infrastructure needs based on business strategy and requirements.
Act as a point of contact for team members, project managers, business partners, and co-ops related to projects and construction activities.
Monitor project start and end dates, resource assignments and status. Ensure projects are completed in a timely manner.
Minimum education requirements include a two-year technical degree (preferably in telecommunications) although a four-year degree in engineering (preferably in telecommunications) or project management discipline is highly preferred. This should be supplemented with 5+ years of telecommunication/network infrastructure experience in the electric utility industry, with proven leadership and\or project management experience.
• Engineering design documentation and ability to interpret technical drawings, materials, contracts, and other related documentation.
• Telecommunications and network technologies, tools, processes, and best practices.
• Telecommunications and data transports such as frame relay, MPLS, IP Networks, SONET, T1, DS3, OC3, microwave, VPN, VoIP, and wireless.
• The construction and maintenance of telecommunication systems.
• IP address management and cabling standards.
• Network protocols and internet standards such as TCP/IP, DHCP, FTP, and DNS.
• IP-based telephony solutions including Call Manager, and Unity.
• Safety codes and other standards that apply to the construction and maintenance of telecommunication sites.
• Communicating effectively at both technical and executive levels. Skills must include good interpersonal skills as well as written and verbal communication skills and ability to understand information and ideas as presented.
• Developing and delivering effective presentations.
• Thinking strategically and effectively promoting a business vision and direction in a rapidly changing technical environment.
• Building and maintaining effective work relationships, both internal and external, and establishing credibility with business partners.
• Planning, organizing, prioritizing time/workload and delegating work in order to accomplish tasks and meet deadlines.
• Negotiating and collaborating with others to arrive at a conclusion using compromise, persuasion, rationale, and diplomacy.
• Ensuring compliance with contract terms, policies and procedures.
• Multi-tasking - coordinating assignments and handle multiple complex tasks concurrently
• Solving complex problems along with analytical skills to examine and blend technical options into broader-based business strategies.
• Evaluating and motivating personnel.
• Adapting to rapidly changing business circumstances; must be able to thrive in a constantly changing business environment.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits package and opportunity for professional growth. To apply, visit our website at www.greatriverenergy.com. Application deadline is March 31.
An EEO/AA/Minority/Female/Disabled/Vets Employer.